TOPONYMY / TOPONYMIE

Street name changes: When Street names change, they usually pass a by-law to make the new name official.
Depending on the street, some streets had several older names that were combined to make one longer street with the same name.

Lucien Brault wrote a book called Ottawa Old & New in 1946. There is a section in the back of the book (pages 309 to 324) about the origins of many of the street names in Ottawa. The street names in Lowertown are quite old and came into use before using by-laws to name streets.

A lot of the names are based on the members of the royal family, various government officials, and some of the people who worked on the construction of the Rideau Canal. Streets would also be named after local landowners if a road ran through their property.

Many streets in Lowertown were impacted by expropriations for the construction of federal buildings, the Macdonald-Cartier Bridge, and the Lowertown East Urban Renewal Projects that began in 1966.

The beginnings of the project in 1966, which also involved the Canadian Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) and the Ontario Department of Municipal Affairs was the result of an increasing number of housing standards cases being reported. Because the work was being done as part of an urban renewal project it qualified for grants which were estimated in 1966 as being able to cover 75% of the costs of the project.

I would like to thank the staff at the City of Ottawa Archives and in particular, Signe Jeppesen, Archives Assistant, for their help in retrieving the information from their commemorations database and guiding me in my research. Their work is the main basis of this document.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Augusta Street

Description:Runs north from Wilbrod
Dedication purpose:Former name of London, England under the Roman Empire:
Legal description:PLAN 6 PT LOT 37 PT LOT 38; RP 5R3325 PART 1 STEWART S; PLAN 43586 LOT 3 LOT 4; AUGUSTA E
Description: Runs north from Wilbrod
Dedication purpose: Former name of London, England under the Roman Empire:
Legal description:PLAN 6 PT LOT 37 PT LOT 38; RP 5R3325 PART 1 STEWART S;
PLAN 43586 LOT 3 LOT 4; AUGUSTA E
Sources:City of Ottawa Public Library (Ottawa Room): Lucien Brault, Ottawa Old & New; 1946; 971.384 BRA


Baird Street

Not in the commemorations database. Information:Was located where the Pearson Building and the ramps for the Macdonald Cartier Bridge are now.
Sources:City of Ottawa Public Library (Ottawa Room): Lucien Brault, Ottawa Old & New; 1946; 971.384 BRA.
Baird, Nicol Hugh – Ordnance officer and prominent citizen of Bytown and Colonel John By's second Clerk of the Works appointed in 1828.
Link: (Cast of Characters)
Biography: Nicol Hugh Baird


Beausoleil Drive

Former names: Chapel Street and Friel Street
Description: Plan R.P. 43586, Ref. Plans 4R-352, 4R-362
Sources: Name Change Binder: Reference Room: Ottawa By-law 318-76
Official name: Beausoleil Drive
Former name: Friel Street and Chapel Street
Description: Plan 887
Sources: Name Change Binder: Reference Room: Ottawa By-law 36-78



Bolton Street


Former name: Bruyère Street
Description: Runs from Sussex to King Edward
Dedication purpose: Named for Daniel Bolton, a major in the Royal Engineers
during the building of the Canal.
Legal description: PLAN 3 PT LOT 4 RP 5R-7947; PART 3 & 4 ROW RP 5R-7947; PART 5:
PLAN 3 LOT 2 TO 4 BOLTON N; LOT 3 TO 4 BOTELER S LOT 4;TO 6 SUSSEX EPT
Sources:City of Ottawa Public Library (Ottawa Room): Lucien Brault, Ottawa Old & New; 1946; 971.384 BRA
Bolton, Captain Daniel - Royal Engineer - Colonel By’s second in command. Succeeded By as
Superintending Engineer of the Rideau Canal when Colonel By returned to England in 1832.
He was later promoted to Major. He took up residence in Colonel By’s house and stayed there
during his term as superintendent (1832-1843). This area, on which Colonel By’s house
once stood, is now known as Major's Hill Park, named after Major Bolton.
Link: (Cast of Characters)


Boteler Street


Description: Runs from Sussex to King Edward
Dedication: Named for Richard A. Boteler, a lieutenant-colonel in the Royal Engineers
during the building of the Rideau Canal.
Designation date: 1952-04-07
Legal description: PLAN 3 E PT LOT 8 LOT 9 Ward 12 - Rideau-Vanier PLAN 3 LOT 22
PT LOT 6: PLAN 611769 PT LOTS 2 & 6 RP;4R-13888 PARTS 1, 3, 5, 10,13 TO 15
Sources:City of Ottawa Public Library (Ottawa Room): Lucien Brault, Ottawa Old & New; 1946; 971.384 BRA
Notes: The street ran between Sussex and the Canal. It was closed for the building
of the Japanese Embassy. Maintained by the National Capital Commission (NCC).

Bruyère Street


Former name: Water Street
Description: From Rideau Canal to Waller Street
Dedication purpose: Named after Mother Superior Elizabeth Bruyère, head of the
Ottawa General Hospital and founder of the Ottawa Grey Nuns Convent.
Legal description: Plan 1223, 42482
Sources:City of Ottawa Public Library (Ottawa Room): Lucien Brault, Ottawa Old & New; 1946; 971.384 BRA
Notes: The street name changed on the 100th anniversary of Grey Nuns of the Cross and the founder,
Mother Elizabeth Bruyère in Bytown. April 16, 1945 By-Law # 9488 Verified MACK 2021-05-20
Biography:Elizabeth Bruyère



Byward


Byward is most likely named because it was the site of the public market in the city’s By ward.
When the city first starting naming wards the market neighbourhood was in the By ward
(named for Col. John By). After awhile the two words became merged hence Byward.
By, Colonel John - a Royal Engineer, By was born in Lambeth, England in about 1783.
He entered the Royal Military Academy in 1796, joining the Royal Engineers in 1799. Retired
on half pay in 1821 he was brought out of retirement in 1826 and appointed Superintending Engineer
of the Rideau Canal. By was directly in charge of the construction of the Rideau Canal. He returned
to Britain in November 1832 and died on February 1, 1836.
Link: (Cast of Characters)
Biography: Colonel John BY


Cathcart Street


Description: Runs from Sussex Drive to Rose Street
Dedication purpose: Named for Earl of Cathcart, Governor-in-Chief of Canada, from 1845 to 1847
Legal description: CARL CONDO PLAN 194 LEVEL 1, UNIT 2 to PLAN 1223, PT BED RIDEAU RIVER S,
CATHCART ST RP 4R-17079, PART 2
Sources:City of Ottawa Public Library (Ottawa Room): Lucien Brault, Ottawa Old & New; 1946; 971.384 BRA
Biography: Charles Murray Cathcart


Chapel Street

Description: Runs south from Beausoleil Drive to Mann Avenue
Dedication purpose: It was named Chapel because of the nearby Methodist Chapel erected
on Rideau in 1828.
Legal description: P 43586 L1 L2 CHAPEL E L3 PT; RP5R 5465 PT 1 L25 26 27;
RIDEAU N WPT L1 L2 AUGUSTA N; CONGREGATON BETH SHALOM to PLAN 32846 PT LOT 14 LOT 15
Sources:City of Ottawa Public Library (Ottawa Room): Lucien Brault, Ottawa Old & New; 1946; 971.384 BRA


Charlotte Street

Former name: Riverside Avenue
Dedication: Princess Charlotte only child of King George IV
Description: From Theodore Street to Templeton Street
Sources: Name Change Binder: Reference Room: Ottawa By-law # 475,
Sources:City of Ottawa Public Library (Ottawa Room): Lucien Brault, Ottawa Old & New; 1946; 971.384 BRA


Clarence Street


Former name: Franklyn Street
Dedication: Fourth son of George III
Description: Between Augusta to the Rideau River
Sources: Box # A2011-0056: Acn 2011.0028.1: Ottawa Street Names & Changes
Sources:City of Ottawa Public Library (Ottawa Room): Lucien Brault, Ottawa Old & New; 1946; 971.384 BRA
Ledger: Ottawa By-law # 475


Cobourg Street


Description: Runs between Island Lodge Road to Rideau Street
Dedication purpose: Coburg, German city where Martin Luther once lived; it is also
the name for a royal House of England.
Legal description: PLAN 4R1317 PART 1 TO PART 3; PART 7 PT LT 18 PT
VILLA; ARTHUR PLAN 12134 P5R10569; PT 1 2 & 3 to PLAN 43586 PT LOT 35 RP;4R14073 PART 23
Sources:City of Ottawa Public Library (Ottawa Room): Lucien Brault, Ottawa Old & New; 1946; 971.384 BRA
Biography: Coburg


Cumberland Street


Former name:Carleton Street
Description: Runs from Laurier Avenue E to Boteler Street
Dedication purpose: Named for the Duke of Cumberland
Legal description: PLAN 2275 LOT 1 - 5 WALLER E; LOT 6 - 7 LAURIER N to PLAN
42482 PT LOT 27 RP;5R-5041 PART 2 TO 4
Sources:City of Ottawa Public Library (Ottawa Room): Lucien Brault, Ottawa Old & New; 1946; 971.384 BRA
Biography: Prince William Augustus, Duke of Cumberland


Dalhousie Street


Description: Runs from Besserer Street to Boteler Street
Dedication purpose: Named for the Earl of Dalhousie, Governor-General from 1819-1828
Dalhousie, 9th Earl of (George Ramsay) – governor-in-chief of British North America
(Canada) from 1820 to 1828.
Link: (Cast of Characters)
Legal description: PLAN 42482 EPT LOT P LOT Q; RIDEAU N to PLAN 3 PT LOT 6 PT
DALHOUSIE; ST RP 5R4494 PARTS 4 AND 8
Sources:City of Ottawa Public Library (Ottawa Room): Lucien Brault, Ottawa Old & New; 1946; 971.384 BRA
Biography: George Ramsay, 9th Earl of Dalhousie


Desjardins Avenue


Description: Runs from Charlotte Street to Cobourg Street
Former name: Murray Street
Sources: Name Change Binder: Reference Room: Ottawa By-law # 6866
Dedication purpose: Named for Alderman Alfred Desjardins who sat on City Council for 32 years
Legal description: PLAN 43586 PT LOT 34 PT LOT;35 ST PATRICK S to RP 4R1317 PART 5
Sources:City of Ottawa Public Library (Ottawa Room): Lucien Brault, Ottawa Old & New; 1946; 971.384 BRA


Earnscliffe


Dedication: Earnscliffe Residence (eagle’s nest)
Not in the commemorations database.
Sources:City of Ottawa Public Library (Ottawa Room): Lucien Brault, Ottawa Old & New; 1946; 971.384 BRA
Was located near where the Pearson Building and the ramps for the Macdonald Cartier Bridge are now.
Biography: British High Commissioner in Canada Residence


Friel Street


Former name: Gloucester Street
Description: From St. Andrew to Theodore Street, Extending southerly
from Rideau Street
Dedication purpose: Named for Henry J. Friel, Journalist. Editor of the Bytown
Packet (later Ottawa Citizen).
Councillor in first Bytown Council 1847-1850 and 1853. Mayor 1854, 1863, 1868 & 1869.
Designation date: 1912-05-25
Sources: Box # A2011-0056: Acn 2011.0028.1 Ottawa By-law #3400
Name Change Binder: Reference Room: Ottawa By-law # 475 (1880)
Notes: Street named pre 1861 Former Gloucester Township
Biography: Henry James Friel
Sources:City of Ottawa Public Library (Ottawa Room): Lucien Brault, Ottawa Old & New; 1946; 971.384 BRA


George Street


Description: Runs from Sussex Drive to Dalhousie Street
Dedication purpose: Named for King George IV
Legal description: PLAN 46 LOT 7 W30 PRESTON W; PLAN 46 LOT 1 E16
GEORGE S to PLAN 46 LOT 10 WPT
Sources:City of Ottawa Public Library (Ottawa Room): Lucien Brault, Ottawa Old & New; 1946; 971.384 BRA
Notes: Byward Market area
Biography: King George IV


Guigues Avenue


Former name: rue de l’Église Church Street.
Description: From Sussex Street to Rose Street
Dedication purpose: Named for the first French Roman Catholic Bishop of Ottawa
Joseph-Eugène Guigues
Legal description: PLAN 334 LOT 31 S PT LOT 32; E PT LOT 34 to CARL CONDO PLAN
167 LEVEL 1 Ward 13 - Rideau-Rockcliffe
Sources: City of Ottawa Public Library (Ottawa Room): Lucien Brault, Ottawa Old & New; 1946; 971.384 BRA
Sources: Box # A2011-0056: Acn 2011.0028.1: Ottawa Street Names &
Changes Ledger: Ottawa By-law # 3798.
Biography: Joseph-Bruno Guigues
Sources:City of Ottawa Public Library (Ottawa Room): Lucien Brault, Ottawa Old & New; 1946; 971.384 BRA


Heney Street
Description: Runs from Wurtemburg Street to a dead end
Dedication purpose: Named for Honest John Heney, alderman and fuel dealer.
Legal description: PLAN 43586 RP 4R-398, PART 1,3,4 & 5; PLAN 43586 W PT LOT 16
Sources:City of Ottawa Public Library (Ottawa Room): Lucien Brault, Ottawa Old & New; 1946; 971.384 BRA
Biography: Heney Street


King Edward Avenue

Former name: King Street Dedication: King Street in Honour of King George IV now King Edward Avenue
named in honour for King Edward VII.
Description: From Cumberland Street to Ottawa River
Sources:City of Ottawa Public Library (Ottawa Room): Lucien Brault, Ottawa Old & New; 1946; 971.384 BRA
Biography: Edward VII (Albert Edward; 9 November 1841 – 6 May 1910)


Martineau Street


Former name: Currier Lane
Dedication: Eugène Martineau alderman for 16 years and Mayor during 1872 and 1873.
Description: From King Street running easterly
Box # A2011-0056: Acn 2011.0028.1 Ottawa By-law 475-1880
Sources:City of Ottawa Public Library (Ottawa Room): Lucien Brault, Ottawa Old & New; 1946; 971.384 BRA
Biography: Eugène Martineau (1837–1880) was mayor of Ottawa


McGee Street


Dedication: Thomas D’Arcy McGee, poet, orator, journalist and member of Parliament.
Assassinated on April 7, 1868
Description: Connected St. Andrew and St. Patrick Street where De La Salle High School
is located now. The street was closed and removed during the Lowertown Urban Renewal Project.
Sources:City of Ottawa Public Library (Ottawa Room): Lucien Brault, Ottawa Old & New; 1946; 971.384 BRA
Biography: Thomas D’Arcy McGee


McTaggart Street


Dedication purpose: Named for John McTaggart, who, under supervision of Colonel By,
directed the building of the Canal in 1826.
MacTaggart, John - Colonel By's Clerk of the Works from 1826-1828. He did some surveys of the
Rideau route, the first in later 1826 and a second in 1827. Fell ill from malaria in 1828 and was
dismissed from his job for drunkenness by Governor Sir James Kemp. MacTaggart wrote a book about his
experiences in Canada called "Three Years in Canada”.
(http://www.rideau-info.com/canal/history/locks/characters.html)
Designation date: 1952-04-07
Legal description: PLAN 611769 PT LOTS 2 & 6 RP;4R-16276 PARTS 1 TO 4 Ward 12 - Rideau-Vanier
Sources: Reference Room: Ottawa By-law 10-68
Sources:City of Ottawa Public Library (Ottawa Room): Lucien Brault, Ottawa Old & New; 1946; 971.384 BRA
Notes: The street ran between Sussex and the Canal. It was closed for the
building of the Japanese Embassy Maintained by the N.C.C.
Biography: John Mactaggart


Mosgrove Street


Dedication: William Mosgrove, lawyer, judge in Carleton County from 1889-1903.
See Frieman Lane – This street no longer exists it is where The Bay is now on Rideau Street.
Sources:City of Ottawa Public Library (Ottawa Room): Lucien Brault, Ottawa Old & New; 1946; 971.384 BRA


Murray Street


Description: Runs from the Alexandria Bridge to St. Patrick Street
Dedication purpose: Named for General Sir James Murray, first Military Governor of
Québec in 1759
Legal description: CARL CONDO PLAN 419; PLAN 43586 PT LOTS 22 TO 24
Sources:City of Ottawa Public Library (Ottawa Room): Lucien Brault, Ottawa Old & New; 1946; 971.384 BRA
Biography: James Murray


Myrand Avenue


Former name: Anglesea Square
Description: From Chapel Street to Augusta Street
Sources: Name Change Binder: Reference Room: Ottawa By-law # 6091
Former name: Anglesea Street N
Description: Runs from Patro Street to a dead end
Dedication purpose: Named for Monsigneur J. A. Myrand, parish priest of Ste-Anne's parish
Legal description: PLAN 43586 PT LOT 18 PT LOT 1 ST PATRICK S, MYRAND N RP 4R-10815
PARTS 1 2 3 & 5 MYRANDE AVE; PLAN 43586 S PT LOT 6, RP 4R-9577 PART 10, 11 & 12 Ward 12 - Rideau-Vanier
Sources:City of Ottawa Public Library (Ottawa Room): Lucien Brault, Ottawa Old & New; 1946; 971.384 BRA
Biography: Mgr Joseph-Alfred Myrand


Nelson Street


Former name: Empress Avenue (part)
Description: Runs from Templeton Street to a dead-end north of Murray Street
Dedication purpose: Named for Horatio Nelson, Admiral of the British Navy at the
Battle of Trafalgar.
Legal description: PLAN 43586 LOT 7 TO 8 PT; PLAN 45224 PT LOT 38 W/S, NELSON ST
RP 4R-21853 PART 2
Sources:City of Ottawa Public Library (Ottawa Room): Lucien Brault, Ottawa Old & New; 1946; 971.384 BRA
Notes: Sandy Hill
Biography: Horatio Nelson


Notre Dame Street

Dedication: After the Cathedral of Paris or after the Blessed Virgin
Not in the commemorations database. Notre Dame was located near the current site
of De La Salle High School and was removed during the Lowertown Urban Renewal projects
when the street grid in that part of the neighbourhood was realigned.
Sources:City of Ottawa Public Library (Ottawa Room): Lucien Brault, Ottawa Old & New; 1946; 971.384 BRA
Biography: Notre-Dame de Paris


Old St. Patrick Street


Former name: St. Patrick Street
Description: Plan 43586
Sources: Name Change Binder: Reference Room: Ottawa By-law 294-82
St Patrick Street was realigned during the Lowertown Urban Renewal Project. This section
follows what was the original alignment of St. Patrick Street east of King Edward
near De La Salle High School.


Papineau Street


Dedication: After Louis-Joseph Papineau, leader or the Patriots of 1837
Papineau was located near the current site of De La Salle High School and was removed
during the Lowertown Urban Renewal projects when the street grid in that part of the
neighbourhood was realigned.
Sources:City of Ottawa Public Library (Ottawa Room): Lucien Brault, Ottawa Old & New; 1946; 971.384 BRA
Biography: Louis-Joseph Papineau


Parent Avenue


Former name: Barrett Lane
Description: Runs from Bruyère Street to Clarence Street
Dedication purpose: Named for Dr. Rufus Henry Parent, Ottawa controller 1912-1914
Designation date: 1912-05-25
Legal description: PLAN 42482 PT LOT 8 RP 5R-10322 PART 1; PLAN 42482 PT LOT 10 MURRAY S
Sources: Box # A2011-0056: Acn 2011.0028.1 Ottawa By-law #3400 Verified MACK 2021-05-27
Sources:City of Ottawa Public Library (Ottawa Room): Lucien Brault, Ottawa Old & New; 1946; 971.384 BRA


Parliament Street


Not in the commemorations database. Parliament was located near the current site of
De La Salle High School and was removed during the Lowertown Urban Renewal projects when
the street grid in that part of the neighbourhood was realigned.


Patro Street

Description: Runs from Clarence street to Old St-Patrick street.


Pinard Street

Dedication: After Alfred Pinard, merchant and alderman
Pinard was located near the current site of De La Salle High School and was removed
during the Lowertown Urban Renewal projects when the street grid in that part of the neighbourhood
was realigned.
Sources:City of Ottawa Public Library (Ottawa Room): Lucien Brault, Ottawa Old & New; 1946; 971.384 BRA
Biography: Alfred Pinard


Redpath Street


Former name: Rear
Dedication: Redpath, John - a construction contractor who worked primarily on the locks
and dam at Jones Falls. Redpath was in partnership with Thomas McKay, Andrew White and Thomas Phillips.
All four had prior canal building experience, having worked on the Lachine Canal. Redpath is perhaps
best known today for "Redpath Sugar" which got its start as the largest sugar refinery in Montreal, built
by Redpath in 1854.
(http://www.rideau-info.com/canal/history/locks/characters.html)
Sources:City of Ottawa Public Library (Ottawa Room): Lucien Brault, Ottawa Old & New; 1946; 971.384 BRA.
Biography: John Redpath


Rideau Street



Description: Runs from Wellington Street to the Rideau River Bridge. It becomes
Montreal Road on the east side of the bridge
Dedication purpose: Named for the Rideau River
Legal description: NEPEAN CON C R.F. PT LOT B RP 5R-11600 PARTS 1, 6 & 15 PT
PART 26; PLAN 43586 E PT LOT 50, LOT 51 & 52
Sources:City of Ottawa Public Library (Ottawa Room): Lucien Brault, Ottawa Old & New; 1946; 971.384 BRA
Lowertown. The street, park, and terrace are also named for the Rideau River.
Plan of Upper and Lower Bytown dated January 22, 1831 signed by John Burrows
and Col. John By shows Rideau Street in its current location between Lot B and Lot C.
A true copy of that plan dated April 8, 1858 is in the book Ottawa in Maps on p. 5. This
may date from a survey completed in 1826.


Rockwood Street


No information in the commemorations database. Rockwood was located between Charlotte
and Wurtemburg, and Clarence and St. Patrick. It ended almost exactly where the bridge from
St Patrick to Beechwood crosses the Rideau River. It would likely have been removed with the
realignment and widening of St. Patrick Street during the Lowertown Urban Renewal projects.


Rose Street


Description: Runs from Cathcart Street to Michel Riel Private
Dedication purpose: Named for Sir John Rose, Minister of Finance in the first federal
government
Legal description: PLAN 1223 PT LOTS 13 & 14 ST ANDREW N; P2879 LO & P ROSE W
Sources:City of Ottawa Public Library (Ottawa Room): Lucien Brault, Ottawa Old & New; 1946; 971.384 BRA
Biography: Sir John Rose


St-Andrew Street


Former name: Park Street on the eastern part
Description: Runs from Sussex Drive to St. Patrick Street
Dedication purpose: Named for St. Andrew, the patron saint of Scotland.
Legal description: PLAN 42482 LOTS 1 AND 2 ST ANDREW N, LOTS 1 AND 2
BRUYERE S, RP 4R-8893 PT PART 1; PLAN 4797 PT LOT B ANDREW N, RP 4R-3974 PART 1 PART 2
Sources:City of Ottawa Public Library (Ottawa Room): Lucien Brault, Ottawa Old & New; 1946; 971.384 BRA
Biography: St. Andrew, the patron saint of Scotland


St-Joseph Street


Dedication: After St-Joseph
Was located near the current site of De La Salle High School, and was removed
during the Lowertown Urban Renewal projects when the street grid in that part of the
neighbourhood was realigned.
Sources:City of Ottawa Public Library (Ottawa Room): Lucien Brault, Ottawa Old & New; 1946; 971.384 BRA
Biography: St-Joseph


St-Patrick Street


Former Name: Ottawa Street.
Dedication: Named for St. Patrick, the patron saint of Ireland. It is desirable
that the street which is now known as “St. Patrick Street” west of King Edward Avenue and
“Ottawa Street” east of King Edward Avenue, should be known as “St. Patrick Street” throughout
its entire length.
Designation date: 1912-05-25
Sources: Box # A2011-0056: Acn 2011.0028.1 Ottawa By-law #3400.
Sources:City of Ottawa Public Library (Ottawa Room): Lucien Brault, Ottawa Old & New; 1946; 971.384 BRA
Biography: St. Patrick


Sussex Drive


Former name: Metcalfe Street from Bolton to the Rideau River and Ottawa Street
from the Rideau River to MacKay Street
Description: Runs from Bolton Street to Princess Avenue
Dedication purpose: Named for the Duke of Sussex, sixth son of George III
Legal description: CONC JG PART OF LOTS 3 & 4; CON C, PT LOT B PLAN 42482 PT LOT A PT
RIDEAU ST PT SUSSEX DR, RP 4R-20282 PARTS 1 TO 24, 26, 27 & 29 TO 56
Sources:City of Ottawa Public Library (Ottawa Room): Lucien Brault, Ottawa Old & New; 1946; 971.384 BRA
Notes: Byward Market
Biography: Prince Augustus Frederick, Duke of Sussex


Tormey Street


Description: Runs from Cobourg Street to Brigadier Private
Dedication purpose: Named for William Tormey, blacksmith for the Rideau Canal.
Legal description: PLAN 43586 E PT LOT 36 RP 5R-5754 PARTS 1, 2, 3 AND 8;
PLAN 43586 PT LOT 39 RIDEAU N
Sources:City of Ottawa Public Library (Ottawa Room): Lucien Brault, Ottawa Old & New; 1946; 971.384 BRA


Water Street


Description: Runs from Sussex Drive to a dead-end west of King Edward Avenue
Dedication: Water Street was named for its position in relation to the Ottawa & Rideau Rivers.
Legal description: PLAN 42482 LOTS 3 & 4 ; PART OF VILLA LOT C PLAN 43586
KNOWN AS PART 7 ON RP 5R-13124 ST ANDREW N
Sources:City of Ottawa Public Library (Ottawa Room): Lucien Brault, Ottawa Old & New; 1946; 971.384 BRA
Notes: Byward Market / Lowertown. Prior to 1876 the street ran from King Street
(King Edward Avenue) to the Rideau River, the part from King Street to the Ottawa River was
named Bolton and Nunnery. In 1877 the two parts were united and named Water Street.


William Street


Description: Runs from Clarence Street to a dead-end north of Rideau Street
Dedication purpose: Named in honor of King William IV
Legal description: PLAN 42482 LOT 11 PT YORK S RP 5R- 4944 PART 2:
PLAN 42482 S PT LOT 11 E PT LOT 11
Sources:City of Ottawa Public Library (Ottawa Room): Lucien Brault, Ottawa Old & New; 1946; 971.384 BRA
Biography: William IV (William Henry; 21 August 1765 – 20 June 1837)


Wurtemberg Street


Description: Runs from Laframboise Place to Rideau Street
Dedication purpose: Named for a kingdom in the south of Germany.
Legal description: PLAN 106707 PT LOTS 43 & 44: PLAN 6 PT LOT 54
Sources:City of Ottawa Public Library (Ottawa Room): Lucien Brault, Ottawa Old & New; 1946; 971.384 BRA
Biography: Named for a kingdom in the south of Germany


York Street


Description: Runs from Sussex Drive to a dead end parallel to Beausoleil Drive
Dedication purpose: Named for the Duke of York, second son of King George III
Legal description: PLAN 42482 W PT LOT 4 YORK N S, PT LOT 4 CLARENCE S:PLAN 43586
PT OF LOTS 4 & 8 CHAPEL W & RP 4R-277 PTS 3 & 5 AND RF 4R-1156 PT 1 KNOWN AS YORK STREET SCHOOL
Sources:City of Ottawa Public Library (Ottawa Room): Lucien Brault, Ottawa Old & New; 1946; 971.384 BRA
Biography: Prince Frederick, Duke of York and Albany


LOWERTOWN CITY DIRECTORIES